Friday, October 28, 2011

Why Write? (I still don't really know)


I really enjoyed reading these pages of Why Write? for this blog post (mostly because of the Monty Python references). It was interesting to learn all about the science of argument, as I have always understood how to argue, but never have quantified the elements that I have always used in argument. The allegory of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich really helped me understand how to organize the piece and I will reference back to these articles while writing my paper. I am now going to discuss the example arguments contained in our reading starting with “Native Americans and Archeologists: Who Owns the Past?”. Going back to the sandwich, I really enjoyed the background information that was provided at the beginning of the article and its ability to answer the reader’s question of “so what?”. The author effectively brought the audience up to speed on the issue at hand concerning Native American (author wisely avoids the politically incorrect use of Indian) artifacts and who has possession of them. The author continues to be objective and provide background information by stating both sides argument about the issue, ultimately providing more credible sources to establish ethos before the author gives the audience her view on the issue. Also, the author had already established the pros and cons of the current act concerning Native American artifact rights, leaving her room to end her argument with her own ideas that make sense in terms of the rest of the facts presented. The next argument article concerns preventative prenatal care for undocumented immigrants. Like the pervious article, the argument begins with an overview of the situation and the problem that the author believes needs addressing. However, this article uses case studies and other examples of how prenatal care has improved public health and lessened the cost on healthcare to show that the same techniques can be used in Utah. The author then reviews the points made in an effective conclusion. Both articles are extremely based in logic and help to progress their arguments in an effective manner.

1 comment:

  1. I loved the peanut butter and jelly sandwich analogy also! The clarification of an argument was so helpful. And it helped me understand the good and the need in researching the opposite view of what I argue. Which now I have decided is not concealed weapons... I don't want to read pages and pages of information on shootings and injuries and killings, direct results of carrying weapons. So if you had any runner- up ideas to nuclear energy, let me know!

    ReplyDelete