For my issue paper I am going to discuss a complex issue, whether or not alternative energy can effectively replace fossil fuels. What makes this paper complex is the view I personally have on this energy issue, as I believe that in the short-term, we need to continue the use of fossil fuels and focus on using them responsibly. However, I believe the use of fossil fuels should only be maintained for enough time to launch a massive research and development campaign into areas such as solar, wind, and nuclear power (hydroelectric dams are already on every major waterway, making this technology less important for my proposal for advancement). The topics I will be covering are the advancement of nuclear power as safe and reliable source, a rebuilding of infrastructure and advancement of an energy grid that eliminates waste in electrical power, and my main point (that can separate out into sub points as well) is my plan that we should undergo a massive excavation of our available resources to expand the energy economy and allow enough time for technologies such as hydrogen, wind, and solar to become effective enough and have the infrastructure to replace our current form of energy. We have a small window before our natural resources are exhausted, and as a person who is skeptical of climate change, I believe that we should use our natural resources until we have connected our advancements in alternative energy technologies to a brand new energy infrastructure that will enhance the use of these alternative energy sources to cover the progressive waning of natural resources. Overall, I am for the use of alternative energy, but I believe that a use of natural resources in the short term is the only way for us to create a strong, unified effort that will utilize the newly developed technologies to their fullest potential. We cannot haphazardly begin putting out unready alternative energy that disjointedly work with each other and therefore become inadequate. Nuclear, wind, hydrogen, and other forms should be developed into infrastructure in one unified act instead of the inefficient and slow manner that is not leading us on the road to energy independence. The development of these new technologies that are funded by the continued use of natural resources will also provide a new technology sector for America that other countries will go to for “green technologies” and could be a major export for the United States and boost the economy.
This will definitely be an interesting paper to read! This is one of those topics that have always interested me. I'm way into technology and the advancement of sciences. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
ReplyDelete