Tuesday, September 27, 2011

That Took a While

Am I sad that our personal narrative assignment has come to a conclusion? I can't say I am, but at the same time, it was a boatload of fun to be able to write in a creative manner. My four years of high school consisted of not only eight hour school days that started before the sun came over the horizon, but also endless amounts of analytical papers dealing with subjects that were excessively bland. This assignment brought a refreshing change of pace to the monotony of my writing career and, even though I am quite glad to see that paper vanish from my sight, I will look upon the hours we spent together in a favorable light. It surprised me how much time careful revision actually took. I can remember in middle school that our writing teachers tried to organize the class into peer-editing groups before papers were due, but nobody had the skills to edit or place any useful input. I then proceeded to my normal "one-draft and turn that sucker in" method that easily carried me through all of my high school English classes. Now  realize how much refinement one can achieve through a careful revision. I must've spent twice as much time revising my paper than it took to slap it all down into writing, but I can say now that all the revision was well worth it... especially since I caught three misspelled words the hour before the assignment was due.

2 comments:

  1. I'm diggin your writing style bro! Nice big words that I barely know and strong adjectives. I also liked the opportunity to write creatively about a significant personal experience. The assignment still had its challenges, but it's probably going to be the easiest paper we ever write considering it was about a personal event that only we, ourselves, experienced.

    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who didn't put any effort into my papers in high school. Except now I almost wish I would have taken more time in high school, because I'm sure that my writing skills would be a lot greater than where they are now in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, your hard work paid off. You already know I loved your narrative! Blog is looking great. Keep up the strong work.

    ReplyDelete